Thursday, August 10, 2006

Motorcycle Repairs

Ya know, sometimes I just love this country.  Take for instance tonight.   The front brakes on my bike were seized up.  Well, I went once again to my awesome local bike mechanic and he went to work on it.  (Yes, communicating my bike’s problems takes a little creativity, but he’s a pretty smart guy and we get along alright.  Sometimes I call a friend and have him translate via my phone, but usually we get it figured out.  Then the mechanic jumps on my bike to verify what I’m saying, and after a quick little ride, goes to work solving the problem.)

Tonight I had my front brakes fixed (the caliper was seized), new brake pads put on, and my front tire reset on the rim.  The guys that I bought my bike from were dinks, but I knew that going in. (The salesman kept telling me that the bike had never been in an accident but I could tell that it had been.  He was quite offended that I didn’t believe him.  Knowing that he was lying I was careful in looking over the bike.  There weren’t any real problems with it, minor things, it’s a used bike, and the test ride went well.  So, I bought it knowing I’d have to do a few things :-)  So even as most places do even in N. America, they did as little to the used product as possible before reselling it.  What I didn’t know was that the new tire that had been put on, whether by them or someone else, was not properly done.  Thus, when my mechanic spun the tire, it looked like there was a bulge in it that otherwise is not visible.  That would explain why, as I would ride my bike at high speeds, there was always a lot of shaking going on.  I just thought it was the road. :-P

So what did all of this cost me?  For labor and parts the total was $10! :-D  Can you believe it, $10!!!!  Like I said, sometimes I love this country. :-)

Me, the happy little biker. :-)

1 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger One of Freedom said...

$10, I can't even pull into a garage for less than $60, and that's if I made a wrong turn and used their parking lot to turn around!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home